Society in Shadowrun is severely racist in some instances. This can be uncomfortable on an OOC level for players. The number one rule to remember is, if something makes you uncomfortable OOC, let the GM know and it will be properly dealt with.
As the GM, unless I have come to a prior agreement with the player(s), I will hold to the following rules:
- Yes, gender can change a NPCs reaction. This will be represented on a high level and by dice modifiers.
- Yes, nationality can change a NPCs reaction. If there is anyone of the nationality in the group, this will be represented by dice modifiers. If there isn't, it will be cleared with the players first.
- Yes, race can change a NPCs reaction. This will only be expressed on the SPECIES level (IE – Ork, Troll, Human, Etc.)
- Yes, religion can change a NPCs reaction. This will be represented by dice modifers and high level comments if required.
- Yes, orientation can change a NPCs reaction. This will be handled by dice modifiers and high level explanations.
Or in high level terms… Yes, different traits can lead to things being awkward. Rather than let them, dice pool modifiers and high level explanations will be applied.
Also this is a very quickly written set of guidelines. It will be updated as needed.